Sending stuff to Jennie

Dearelder.com is FREE. Select "Philippines Iloilo Mission", and write your letter!

Anything else, (cards, packages, etc.) send to the mission home address.

Sister Jennie Adams
Philippines Iloilo Mission
Osmena St.
Arevalo
5000 Iloilo
Philippines

November 2010 - January 2011

Monday, November 30, 2009

Culture Shock

I have no idea where to start! It has been a crazy 4 days. It is SO different here... I have ridden almost all types of available transportation: Tricycle, pedi-cab, jeepny, and a bus (the bus has a different name, but I'm not sure what it is).

My assigned area is Silay. My trainer's name is Sister Rellora (Relyora) (she is Filipino), and we have 2 wards. And the people here speak Ilanggo mostly. So I'm even more lost in lessons than I thought I would be. But no worries, I have things to learn the language, and Sister Rellora is very helpful and patient with me :) Even when I cried almost all of my first day.

The shower isn't as rough as I thought it would be. The first time I used the water that came out of the faucet, but it made me itch, so ever since, I have used filtered water. It's kind of a pain, but it's worth it to have water that doesn't smell like rust or make my skin itch. Haha, my hair is kinda crazy cause I sent home my blow drier... but I make do :)The people are amazing. I can't really describe them except that they are so nice and humble and teachable. The members yesterday were all like, "oh, sister, is this your first Area?" haha I was like "yep, I've been here for 3 days..." haha then they all told me that I would learn the language.

We are teaching several families and some individuals as well. We have a baptism on Saturday. I like to go teaching because the people are so nice, but I usually find that I have NO idea what is going on... which makes it difficult when they turn to you and expect you to add something to the lesson! haha but it's all good- I'll get it someday.I met Sister Grant! She just laughed when Sister Stadler and I said we had read her letters... it was awesome. She is just as cool in person as she is in the letters! :) We met Sister Grant, Sister Stadler, and Elder Foulds... (and their companions and some other Elders) for lunch today at KFC it was so good to see my Sister Stadler! :)

Well, it's hot, it's humid, it's BEAUTIFUL, and the work is going strong!Until next time!

Love,Sister Jennie Adams

P.S. Thanks to all those who have written me! I love reading about things that go on at home! Keep me updated if you can... Snail mail is great!

No comments:

Post a Comment